<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Holly Walker - Kong Fan, Dunedin

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Kong etc

So I saw King Kong last night. I don't think I've had such a viscerally enjoyable and exciting movie experience since I was a kid and every movie was magic. And this one has that magic for grown ups! If it made me come home and engage in a "Who would win in a fight between King Kong and Aragorn? What about Voldemort? Or Aslan. Sauron?" conversation, I can only imagine the state it will induce in my 10 year old brother. (For the record, Kong would win them all, except maybe if Aragorn had the army of the dead with him).

I won't get into a proper review, or give away any spoilers, but I did want to say that I think Peter Jackson made a big mistake sacking Howard Shore as the movie's composer. The final soundtrack was bland, boring, and totally forgettable; probably not James Newton Howard's fault, since he only had a couple of months, but disappointing nonetheless, given the central role Shore's soundtrack played in the Lord of the Rings movies.

Otherwise, look out for the giant wetas, the Sumatran Rat Monkey reference, Moira from Shortland Street, Mel from The Strip and Jackson's trademark cameo (which I have to admit I missed). And if you're not in Wellington you can follow the action at the premiere tonight with this webcam.

It's nice to have a Peter Jackson movie at Christmas time again.