<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hamish McKenzie - blogger, London, Ontario

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Entering the Frey

If you haven't heard of the James Frey scandal, you probably haven't heard of Oprah. In which case, you're very lucky.

So, for those of you who don't know about the James Frey controversy, here it is in a nutshell: Frey writes faux memoir trumping up a bad-boy past. Frey is later revealed to be a liar (see link above). Oprah, who endorsed his book with her 'Oprah Book Club' seal of approval, confronts Frey on her show. He admits to being naughty. Oprah is indignant.

And, for thos of you don't know about Oprah, here she is in a nutshell: Gregarious female talkshow host. Once embraced Michael Jackson (she's the one on the left. I think).

Why am I talking about these relatively unimportant wowsers? Well, mainly just to point out that it was my old university writing teacher who first revealed Frey to be a snivelling privileged rich-kid liar.

John Dolan, co-editor of Moscow's wonderfully loose-cannon exile magazine, details his role in Frey's downfall in typcially scathing exilian language here.

Dolan's original review of A Million Little Pieces, aptly titled "A Million Pieces of Shit," in which he opens with the line "This is the worst thing I've ever read" can be found here.

And now, I'm sorry to be rude, but I have to abruptly end this post because I am being summonsed to drink. And drink I shall.