Monday, April 03, 2006
PTSD 127: Press Releases and Postmodern Theory
Please answer the following questions:
1) With reference to the ACT Party press releases 'New Crime Stats Show East Auckland Suffers 5 Violent Crimes A Day' and '16 Violent Offences Every Day In Wellington', responding to the release of new crime figures:
a) Both releases contain the assumption that that people's perception of their own safety is directly related to the actual crime rate rather than political and media hype. Demolish this sarcastically.
b) Consider the following parallelisms:
- Hide: "It's no wonder that the people I speak to in Epsom don't feel safe in their homes or communities."
Roy: "It's no wonder that law abiding Wellingtonians still feel under seige in their homes and communities."
- Hide: "Our Police do a good job, but they are often frustrated by a weak, revolving door justice system."
Roy: "Our Police do a good job, but they are often overwhelmed and frustrated by a weak, revolving door justice system"
- Hide: "Our cops, courts and corrections services deserve to get the resources they need to keep law abiding Kiwis safe from thugs and thieves"
Roy: "Our cops, courts and corrections services deserve to get the resources and leadership they need to keep law abiding Kiwis safe from thugs and thieves"
Last time this kind of plagiarism was discovered, someone resigned. Discuss.
2) Consider this statement from Winston Peters of the announcement of the new Governor-General.
a) The role of the Queen's is described as "diverse", our nation as "evolving" and our heritages as "mixed", but Judge Anand Satyanand's race or ethnicity is never mentioned. Does anyone else find that convoluted and bizarre?
b) Peters assure us that Judge Satyanand has "respect" and is "respectful". Which is more dangerous, a Governor-General who is "uppity" or one who is "cheeky"?
Bonus Questions: (April 4, Hat-tip Mr Edgeler): Peters lists service as a High Court Judge as one of the qualifications for nation-nuance-acquaintance. Judge Satyanand was a district court judge.
a) How funny is that?
b) Does this mean Satyanand's disqualified now?